In many countries, over half the population already uses mobile phones and the market is still growing rapidly. The industry predicts that there will be as many as 1.6 billion mobile phone subscribers worldwide in the year 2005. Because of this, increasing numbers of mobile base stations have had to be installed. Base stations are low-powered radio antennae that communicate with users’ handsets. In early 2000 there were about 20,000 base stations in operation the United Kingdom and about 82,000 cell sites in the United States, with each cell site holding one or more base stations.
Given the immense numbers of users of mobile phones, even small adverse effects on health could have major public health implications. This fact sheet addresses these concerns. This major World Health Organization study will finally announce later this year that Long-term use of mobile phones can cause brain tumors. People who have used a mobile phone for more than 10 years face a significantly increased risk of developing brain tumors such as glioma, says the Interphone study, which reviewed the evidence from 13 countries, involving around 12,800 people.
The damaging effects of EMFs, cell phone radiation and wireless radiation pose an extreme public health risk. Don’t wait for the cumulative effects of this highly detrimental force to become fully realized in your life. Take action and protect yourself and your family. Some industry experts predict that we are on the verge of a health crisis that could cripple our current health care infrastructure.
1. Studies to show Mobile Phones Can Cause Cancer?
Award-winning cancer researcher and neurosurgeon Dr. Vini Khurana has some things to say about our use of cell phones, and none of them are good. Having reviewed more than 100 studies of mobile phones’ effects on the human brain, Dr. Khurana notes that “there is a significant and increasing body of evidence for a link between mobile phone usage and certain brain tumors,” believing these claims will be “definitively proven” in the next decade.
The German and French governments have made public statements warning against prolonged cell phone usage (particularly by children), and Khurana believes there is good reason to worry. “It is anticipated that this danger has far broader public health ramifications than asbestos and smoking,” he told The Independent. “Unless the industry and governments take immediate and decisive steps,” he believes, the number of malignant brain tumors will rise drastically in the next ten years.
In 2004 a study found that 10 or more years of mobile phone use can dramatically increase the risk of developing a benign tumour on the auditory nerve. The Institute of Environmental Medicine at Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, which carried out the study, found that the risk of developing the tumours, known as acoustic neuromas, almost doubled for persons who started using their mobile phone at least 10 years before diagnosis.
2. How you SHOULD React:
Kalon Prensky a well known, writer, educator and health advocate mentioned the following suggestions in an article to avoid the risk of brain-cancer because of Mobile Phones:
1. Minimize cell phone use by keeping calls short and only using for essential calls. Just 2 minutes on a cell phone call has been shown to alter the natural electrical activity of the brain for up to an hour.
2. Use a speaker on your cell phone if possible. Keeping the phone away from the body and head helps minimize exposure to radiation.
3. Limit use of cell phones by children to emergency only. Due to their thin skull and developing body’s, radiation can penetrate much more deeply.
4. Avoid wired headsets. Regular wired headsets have been shown to act as an antenna, attracting additional EMFs (Electro-Magnetic Fields) or radiation and concentrating it in the ear canal.
5. Keep your cell phone out of your pocket and off your belt when on or in use. Body tissue in the lower body area absorbs radiation more quickly than the head. One study shows that men who wear cell phones near their groin are at risk of reduced sperm count by up to 30 percent.
6. Avoid using the cell phone in enclosed metal spaces. Vehicles and elevators may require the device to work harder in establishing a connection. The metal also acts as a Faraday cage, trapping the radiation and reflecting it back upon the occupants.
7. Wait for the call to connect before placing phone next to the ear. More radiation is present during the connection time.
8. Avoid using the phone if the signal strength is down to one bar or less. This means the phone must work harder to establish a connection.
9. When purchasing a cell phone, choose one with low SAR (Specific Absorption Rate). The SAR level is listed in most phone instruction manuals. SAR is a way of measuring the quantity of radiofrequency (RF) energy absorbed by the body. A lower number equals less absorption. However, studies reveal that RF hundreds of times lower than current SAR limits still show biological effects.
10. Take antioxidant nutritional supplements. Free radicals in the body have been shown to create accelerated wear and tear, aging and degeneration. Cell phone and microwave radiation have been shown to decrease levels of these antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants such as Coenzyme Q10, Super Oxide Dismutase (SOD), vitamin C, Picnoginal, Melatonin and others are protective agents against internal and external environmental stressors.
11. Utilize the Cell Phone Protection of a Scientifically Validated EMF Guard Device. Cell phone and microwave radiation and electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) deplete your bioenergy field and immune system. Since most people can not imagine living without a cell phone, the best option is to utilize an advanced technology now available, which significantly strengthens your bioenergy field and guards the body from the cumulative effects of repeated EMF exposure. EMFs weaken the body’s ability to repair itself. Since radiation and EMFs are extremely prevailent, even when not using a cell phone, additional protection devices have been made for people, pets and home or office wiring. Some industry experts predict that we are on the verge of a health crisis that could cripple our current health care infrastructure. Now is the time to protect yourself and family.
3. Other Possible Risks of Mobile Phones by http://www.cancer-health.org/ :
“If Mobile Phones Were a Type of Food, They Simply Would Not be Licensed”
Cellular phone increases the risk of brain cancer (brain tumor).
Cellular phones can do biological damage through heating effects.
Cellular phone causes symptoms: including headaches, earaches, blurring of vision, short-term memory loss, numbing, tingling, and burning sensations, bad sleep,fatigue, Anxiety.
Single and double strand DNA breaks in brain cells increased after exposure to RF. Exposure to both continuous wave and pulsed RF (mobil phone) produced DNA damage. Double strand breaks, if not repaired, are known to lead to cell death.
Research by other scientists indicates that prolonged use of mobile phones may cause hot-spots to develop inside the brain, causing damage which could lead to Alzheimer?s disease or cancer (brain tumor).
Dr Henry Lai and Dr N. P. Singh from the University of Washington in Seattle believe the radiation changed brain cell membranes in the rats – and the effects are so severe that it could affect humans, too.
This statement was not uttered by some uneducated anti-technology activist, but rather was written by British physicist Dr. Gerald Hyland and was printed in the prestigious medical journal The Lancet.
4. Physics of Mobile Telephony:
A base-station antenna typically radiates 60 W and a handset between 1 and 2 W (peak). The antenna of a handset radiates equally in all directions but a base-station produces a beam that is much more directional. In addition, the stations have subsidiary beams called side-lobes, into which a small fraction of the emitted power is channelled. Unlike the mean beam, these side-lobes are localized in the immediate vicinity of the mast, and, despite their low power, the power density can be comparable with that of the main beam much further away from the mast. At 150-200 m, for example, the power density in the main beam near ground level is typically tenths of a W/cm (2).
A handset that is in operation also has a low-frequency magnetic field (EMF) associated, not with the emitted microwaves, but with surges of electric current from the battery that are necessary to implement “time division multiple access” (TDMA), the system currently used to increase the number of people who can simultaneously communicate with a base-station. With handsets that have an energy-saving discontinuous transmission mode (DTX), there is an even lower frequency pulsing at 2 Hz, which occurs when the user is listening but not speaking.
5. Do you want to read more Information:
Adverse effects of excessive mobile phone use http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19228576
According to IOL, a study by group of independent Dutch scientists has revealed thatfrequent use of cellphones leads to slower brain activity. This is the same process occurring on Alzheimer’s patients. However, the evidence is not yet conclusive.
Moreover, BBC News reports the long-term cancer risk of mobile phone use cannot be ruled out. Fortunately, the UK mobile telecommunications and Health Research Programme (MTHRP) has ruled out the short-term negative effects of mobile phones to cell function and brain. Also, study on the specific impact to children is in the planning stages.
While most studies are in its early stages, I hope the mobile industry and mobile manufacturers will take these matters seriously and proactively prepare to combat this potential disaster.
Please Note: This article is shared for educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. If you believe that you have a health problem, see your doctor or health professional immediately.